I hate to say this, I really do. But Google +1 will fail.
I don’t think this because I have done an in depth analysis of it’s features and tested it for the last 6 months it’s more instinctive, so take that for what it’s worth. My thinking is based on the following.
- Google does search very well, social is a different thing entirely
- Google isn’t hungry, failure will not move the share price or cause a significant bump in revenues
- Google can buy Twitter whenever it realises it can’t do social, so why try too hard
- Sheds of sock puppets are on standby to manipulate the system
- There is no void for Google + 1 to fill, we can already do what it offers and are embedded in other networks
- Social networks are powered by fundamental forces like sex, money, social approbation etc. I don’t see any of these primal forces being sated in the current features
There are a few more reasons I will save for the email list.
I hate saying all this because Google could have done it, they left it too late. I remember saying back in 2007 they should do something like this.
They have spent too much of the evening working on their PhD papers and turned up at the party with a bottle of Peach Schnapps wondering why the hot chicks have already left the party.
The other reason of course is that Google search is very, very good and it would be hard to improve it. Google Search and it’s commercial cousin Adwords are truly the works of genius. Which is why it feels awkward watching people get excited over this.
Ah well, gives SEO bloggers something to write about.
You may like these other posts:
Great wordpress plugins