Ryan Air and How Not to do Reputation Management

You may have heard what Ryan Air, the no frills budget airline have been saying about bloggers lately. If not you can get up to speed here and here

I wont overlap as the information is already at those sites, but look at what the Times had on their website.

Ryanair has confirmed that one its staff abused a blogger who questionned the airline site’s credentials.

But far from apologising for the volley of abuse, Ryanair today dismissed bloggers as “lunatics” and “idiots.”

My first thoughts are, who does their SEO and who does their reputation management? I hope it’s not a pal. But by the sounds of things, they don’t seem to rate Online very highly. They have a strong enough brand to get a lot of business over the phone and as we know, any publicity is good publicity. Maybe they think they don’t need it.

But this stuff is now going to show up in Google when you search for “Ryan Air”, what makes it crazy is that is was so easy not to happen in the first place.

Who does the seo for Ryan Air? I would love to hear what they really think of the client. I wonder if they are sobbing into their alt tags this very moment.

Actually I just did a search for, “Who does the seo for Ryan Air”, and a post from David Naylor came up, lol, Ryanair gets bad Twitter press

By the way, if any airline would like to hire a social media marketer, gimme a call. ;)

Comments

In what was does this actually hurt Ryanair? They’re getting written about, a lot, and it creates more links to them as well from very topical posts.

Google don’t know whether the post is supporting or slating Ryanair.

And, as others pointed out in the Travolution forum, 99% of Ryanair travellers only care about getting a cheap flight.

As for reputation management, Ryanair doesn’t care. They don’t want to be a loved brand, they’re working at being a known and used brand.

Seriously pedantic, but it is Ryanair. It is written that way everywhere, including Dave Naylor’s post.

What would Ryanair gain by hiring an SEO or Social Media marketer? They don’t exactly need to attract more people to their site.

They couldn’t care less about what bloggers write about them. It’s not going to lose them any sleep or any business.

Just looking at the SERPs for “ryan air bloggers” and “ryanair bloggers” along with a number of other combinations and I believe there is method of Lyndon’s madness..

Mike, finally someone shows a bit of intelligence.

I doubt very much that Ryanair (are you happy now ;) are going to be jumping with joy that a negative bit of information is ranking for their name.

Usually I find in business that if a large number of vocal people are giving you a slagging it’s bad for business. Especially an airline, and the idea that they do not care is simply a bit of spin.

And you bet your arse their shareholders care.

It’s a great case … how in the world can they bee so stupid.

But it’s hard to handle social media in the beginning …

Ryanair proberly have a lot of quite unhappy customers – low price and quite low service normally don’t give the most positive response.

They just have to remember – they get what they pay for.

Steen

Unless their end game was link development…in that case, they likely did pretty well (though I’m sure the anchor text would be pretty negative overall) :.)

There’s no way you can say that with any certainty.

I won’t be flying with them and will definitely not be recommending them again when I get by asked by friends overseas about budget airlines in Europe.

I’m not offended by what they’ve said, but if their response is that poor, I dread to imagine what their customer service is like when they get real complaints. If they can’t respond maturely to this issue, it’s pretty much guaranteed they’ll be awful if I ever had a real issue with them.

8. Martin says

First 2 comments are completely correct.

Ryanair want to be known as “cheap”. As commented above 99% of people booking on Ryanair are doing so only because it is “cheap”.

In fact all the negative publicity is paradoxically good publicity because it engrains in the public conciousness to expect a lousy customer service if things go wrong. The 99% know exactly what they are getting

The 99% are booking with Ryanair because of the 3 P’s – ‘Price’, ‘Price’ and ummm ‘Price’, absolutely no other reason, customer service is not what they are thinking about.

Ryanair aren’t really interested in the 1% who are going to moan about them, in fact they’d prefer them to fly with someone else and not have the hassle.