How to Get More Followers on Twitter

Easy, get a mention in the Sunday Times.

Just like Nikki Pilkington did.

• People get to know you exist.
  • People think you know what you are talking about
  • People talk about you
  • People link to you
  • People pass around your Twitter profile

Just like I did with this post.

You can find Nikki Pilkington here and on Twitter here.

I used her name as anchor text to link to the Times article so when people search for her they will find the article. She probably already ranks for her name so doesn’t need the juice.

btw, you can follow me here

Comments

Good one on getting followers. Follow me pleaZzz! I am an artist getting myself out there. Yes I boast about myself.. tee hee and No, I am not embarrassed to do so. I write about art, my art and others, plus add whatever interests me in politics (especially), and ideas that come to mind.

Kathy http://twitter.com/KathysArt

Kathy

PS A favorite quote of mine:

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create.” ~Albert Einstein

~~*~~

“Maybe I just don’t get the Twitter thing. Is it for marketing? If not why would you want people you don’t know following you?”

This is what really grinds my gears with social sites, they are all full of this junk. Take Digg for example: the amount of promotional literature on there is astonishing, and Squidoo is just a dirty “back alley” search engine spam fest.

As for Twitter, it’s going to go the same way all the social sites go: downhill. It’s not the first nor the last I should imagine. This is why I dislike companies creating a Facebook page and becoming “friends” with everyone in their local area. Hint: it’s called Facebook…you gotta have a face!

I guess getting followers can improve your site popularity, but you need to twit constantly right? How would it compare if someone Stumbledupon constantly or used other Social media.

To the skeptics, I say it really comes down to your online marketing strategy. It is your marketing plan which will dictate whether it’s worth using twitter or not.

It makes little sense getting into these communication tools if it does not increase your bottom line.

But, it is increasing my bottom line. I’m just too lazy or too busy to tell you how.

My philosophy is, if it doesn’t work don’t do it. It works, so I’m doing it.

5. Pffft. says

Two characteristics of self proclaimed “SEO Experts”:

1. Shocking on-page optimisation on their own site.
    2. Not noticing a true SEO expert has linked to their site.

I’ve yet to experience any real benefits from Twitter, but perhaps I don’t do it enough.

By the way, I have listed this blog as a dofollow blog and send a few readers your way. I’ve linked to the page above.

I’m in the process of updating the rankings and providing a bit of information about each site. Updates should be up by Wednesday. Let me know if you’d like to change yours.

Warmly,

Linda P. Morton

I like this simple tips but i think its not really enough to only know that. Anyway thanks for the tips. I will combine this tips with the one i found on Techcrunch to more optimize my follower counts :)

I understand where a lot of ppl are coming from. Just last week had a had no idea what twitter was and didn’t care either. But, it really is a great marketing tool. For some, twittering is fun in itself. Kind of like IM’ing or something. Just random talking. But, twitter can be a great promotional tool. Like word of mouth via the internet. Some ppl don’t like it…ok. No need to bash it because you don’t understand. I’ve heard some ppl say their blog only sees maybe 5% traffic compared to their twitter followers but the way I look at it is that’s 5% traffic that you wouldn’t have gotten! Staying up to date on social media, to me, is what marketing is all about. How to get to your target market and what your target market is in to. Right now, twitter is what my market is into so I’m going to twitter on! BTW, you can follow me at twitter.com/theavongirl