How Ed Dale Hammered in the Final Nail of my Twitter Coffin

So I previously made fun of Twitter, but there was something about it which kept my attention. One thing which kept me connected was the fact that my peers were spending time there and a conversation existed. Not knowing what the conversation was about became painful, so I had to keep dipping in.

And, there are bits and bobs and nuggets of gold in there, sure you get the, “I’m on the bus”, type twitter, but what you also get is an insight into “the conversation”. I use it professionally, so all the people I follow have something to do with my business and being able to know what is the “thing of the moment” can be very useful.

But, the thing that has finally done it for me is something that I have an absolute passion about and that is writing headlines. Twitter gives an advantage to those who can give interesting meaning to the fewest amount of words possible. If you can write something in 160 characters which makes people do something or induces and emotion or gets them to stop and think, then you can write a headline.

What a great place to learn headline writing. What a great place to hone the craft.

There is this guy called Ed Dale, now I hate the internet marketing guru tribe as much as any red blooded seo, but today he presented me with information of such clarity and usefulness that I have given him a link. Now, I am not saying I am going over to the dark side and cranking out a 50 DVD Workbook on how to make $345,000 a month, making models of the Eiffel tower out of cornflakes.

But the dude has got a point about Twitter being a headline writers training ground.

From now on, my Twitter feed is going to be more focussed on teaching the art of the headline, and also sharpening my own pencil.

If headlines are your thing, give me a shot and follow me. It costs nothing.

Comments

1. discuit says

I’m very new to Twitter as well, I also suspected it would be a load of bollocks, but i am trialing it to try and pick up tips from UK Seos. If there are any using it, could they follow me @discuit and I will also follow you.

great post by the way Lyndon

Cheers

What is this ‘use’ you speak of regarding twitter? I thought it functioned as a pure time waster?

Seriously though, nice idea and I look forward to reading your tweets :-)

I think approaching anything these days with a healthy dose of skepticism is sensible. But, always leave the door open. There are a ton of over hyped web 2.0 bollocky properties out that that do not deliver and if you get caught up wasting time on them it reduces your ROI.

I think Twitter is something that you really have to think about how you can fit it into your overall strategy. Everyone is going to want different things from it and I think that is what puts people off.

The advantages are not that obvious.

Thanks

I don’t think it’s just writing headlines…writing for Twitter will force you to write in a very concise manner which is valuable skill for blogging & article writing as well.

I’ve been slow to accept Twitter, even though all the cool kids are doing it. But “Fat Kids Banned from Squashing Seaside Donkey” made sifting through inside jokes and what people are eating for lunch totally worth it.

I love the analogy with headline writing. Being able to fit the most meaning and intrigue into the fewest possible words is a fantastic skill. At university, one of my English teachers would have us write “short short” stories. Generally, they had to be 500 words or less. It was the best training possible in terms of learning how to conserve words and make every one of them count.

Back to Twitter: According to everything I’ve read about how I should be using it, I’m using it incorrectly. For me, it’s a glorified version of instant messenger. However, I’m not going to change the way I use it because of “Twitter Etiquette” posts (which I certainly don’t think this post is) or because my “@tomcritchlow You’re a twat” updates don’t fit into the Top Nineteen Ways You Should Use Twitter For Fun And Profit.

If someone doesn’t like the inane conversations I have with my buddies on Twitter, they can always unfollow me. I won’t be hurt. I know we can be annoying. We’ll start a conversation on Facebook, refer to it on Twitter, take it to email and then make obscure references to it for the rest of the day.

Twitter is a Slow Grower. And keeping it short and simple is always a good thing: [Simplicity + Content x Creativity] x Tenacity = Prosperity

Nice article! It’s interesting reading this from way back when and the comments about Twitter now that its grown so huge… Although it’s more then a handy headline practise pad, it’s still critical to get those headlines right!

Cheers