Getting the Twitterati to Talk about You

Chris Winfield of 10e20.com published a blog post today about Twitter. It’s a great example that if you talk about those who talk, you are going to be talked about.

Most marketing is common sense. Big up ten people and you will find ten people bigging you up in return.

Does this represent a new label for movers and shakers? Is this the start of numerous posts on how to attract the Twitterati?

When Chris published his post Twitter Wrote This Column For Me my Twitter feed lit up with people linking to it. Why? Because he was talking about them. Now, that’s not the only thing going for the post, it’s an interesting post in its own right and anything Chris writes I am going to read and people are going to talk about.

I have talked about this technique before, you want to get peoples’ attention, you talk about them. Not the flaming posts which people think are linkbait, but thoughtful, insightful posts which the person targeted is going to gain something from.

Is this the worst kind of pandering to peoples ego? I don’t think so, when I link to something mentioning me it’s more of a business decision than motivated by ego, but I would say that wouldn’t I. The thing is we all benefit from being in a network, people link to us, we link to others, people big us up, we big the next person up and on it goes.

I do have a twinge of regret that I did not think of this first though. What next, numerous lists of Twitterers. The top ten best looking bald twitterers perhaps?

Lets wait and see.

Whilst I am here, here is my twitter account if you want to follow, I’m mainly twittering about headlines these days

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

Thanks for the mention Lyndon.

This list “The top ten best looking bald twitterers” is all yours! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have too much hair to be included but I look forward to seeing who makes the cut (no pun intended) :)

Interesting concept and also I think touching on the worlds oldest marketing plan. :) Butt kissing can go a long way, but its still more about the who than the what. The new medias like twitter friendfeed and the entire ‘lifestream’ concept have really change the face of marketing online. Can’t wait to hear your buzz around this social insight to modern web marketing.

peace

I’ve never heard the term “big up” before. Interesting.

The technique that you describe reminds me of one of my most popular posts of late. It did relatively well at StumbleUpon. The topic: eight complaints about StumbleUpon. A few people could identify with them!

@mark, I guess “big up” is a British term, I think an Ali G type word. British slang is still quite strong and driven by youth culture.

It’s such a fine line. I linked out to a few well-known Twitter profiles in a recent post, and my own husband accused me of name-dropping.

Oh, and big ups for this post! ;)

@Adrienne, so I was saying to Danny Sullivan today or was it Aaron Wall, it was just after Dave Naylor had been round for tea and…… I know what you mean about the name dropping, I find some people a bit over the top with it, sure I have done it myself to achieve objectives other than inflating my own ego. But, as long it’s in context and it has a point I think it’s an acceptable face of getting noticed.

I stopped by your recent pages a la Twitterdom in an effort to twitterpate myself into twying tweeting again. Did I jump the gun, the last time I ran from the twitroom?

I’ve progressed to a definite maybe. Will there be munchies with tea? Should I wear my bunny slippers? Bring a special hat?

Its defo a way of getting noticed and being an exert in this field Lyndoman you understand the positives and negatives.

Perhaps I can inspire a post from yourself as to the promise and advantages of using techniques to get people to read your content and also the downright disadvantages of content-gone-wrong.

Listen to me trying to get a master to write about his experiences (not that I would ever use any advice for my own monetary gains, for starters I drink the wrong coffee and don’t eat enough fish) but it would make for some great reading as to why some ideas work and others fail.

@elizabeth, I think it’s worth a revisit. I think it has become less inane as more people have joined and that people have pointed out that we are not interested in the minute by minute reporting of some geeks life.

It’s more than a communication tool, it’s a branding and research tool too and probably lots more uses. But my point is you have to find how it works for you and every need and tolerance is different.

My perception of some “A list” bloggers has been realigned as I see them bitch, moan and squeal about nothing important and as there is a big “look at me, no don’t look at him look at me”, factor. From a psychological pov it’s fascinating to watch sometimes.

The biggest problem with twitter is the time suckage. I got into trouble yesterday from spending too much time on it.

Anyway, I will be interested to see how you use it.

@paul, that’s a fair request. This blog is after all for my readers so if people are saying go one direction who am I to ignore.

Although I would question the premise. First ask yourself, “why do you want to be noticed”. For me, it’s about lead generation for my linkbaiting service, once I worked that out and that the market for $2,000 a pop linkbuilding service is quite narrow, I knew I did not have to chase a mass market and so crafted my message thus.

The narrower your target the easier it is to get noticed.

Once you have that worked out it gets very simple, so simple that people ignore it and that is to give people what they want. Know what people notice, what makes them stop and look and then replicate that.

There are techniques that I could bang on about of course, the kind people would put in an ebook, but I think most tips and techniques are useless and an holistic approach needs to be taken.

It’s not really about one thing or a number of things stuck together, it’s more a methodology, a way of looking at things.

Hey don’t mean to get all Zen on you, lol. But, I strongly believe that the way you approach things are as much to do with success as learning the stuff itself.

EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE

[words:supaswag music:supaswag]

See your name – Get the fame – In the game

Blog Writer – Name Dropper – Hard Bopper – Chart Hopper

GTA – NRA – CEO – SEO

Everybody wants to be a Popstar – Rockstar – Interweb Superstar

Guitarsolo

Look at my pretty avatar – My sexy avatar – My pretty sexy avatar

Do you like my avatar? – My pretty sexy avatar?

Come baby stumble me, sphinn me, digg me, touch my twitt feed

I give you Link Love all night long – You and me can sing this song

But only if you love me – Talk about me – Make me a

Popstar – Rockstar – Webstar – Twitterstar

See my name – Get the fame – In the game to be a

Popstar – Rockstar – Interweb Superstar

Guitarsolo [fade out]

@ Lyndoman — When I am paying attention to what I am doing, nothing seems like time suckage. It interests me or I move on. When I am not paying as much attention, there is a hole in the Internet where time has no meaning, and meaning doesn’t have much meaning, either.

I am beginning to wonder if keeping an eye on meaning is a special skill. :-)

The ability to sift twits and see meaning may also be a special skill.

And, it got my attention yesterday when two friends messaged me simultaneously to ask if my Twitter was on, while another was doing the same to ask if I saw any value at all in Twitter. I passed the value question on to the two twit-ons who both said “test first, rant later.”

I may not be able to resist the temptation to rant before and during, too, when a quick search serves up pages that suggest Twitter can be of use to spread homeland security disaster alerts, or to get out of an Egyptian jail – LOL – momentarily speechless….

Lyndon, big up is used on this side of the Atlantic too. Mark’s just an old fogey :P hehe (Kidding Mark, kidding. Put the baseball bat down. )

As to Chris leveraging a new social media for linkbait – well done!

I’ve never heard the term “big up” before. Interesting.

-Jeff

I love twitter, can’t stop twittering..It is the best way to keep in touch will everyone I know who use twitter..