My latest twitter is ” I still think Twitter is as useful as trying to water roses with an over salivating dog.” Which when you think about is is the secret of link building.
I find it as banal as left wing performance artist on the streets of Grantham on a wet Thursday afternoon.
But, and this is the important bit. It carries conversations of people in my industry, and thus, although I would rather rub my own eyeball with high grade sandpaper; I don’t want to be left out of the conversation, however banal. I can count on the fingers of one hand when I actually found it useful, other people may find it more useful than me. Particularly those of a burning need to announce that they are sat in an airport lounge.
Not sure what the waiting-at-the-airport twitter is meant to tell me. Maybe that the twitterer is:
- Wealthy enough to fly
- Courageous enough to fly
- Not discounting the fact that the plane may crash and wants to send one last message
- Wants us to show sympathy with having to pay 10 quid for a sandwich
- Telling us they don’t find the book they brought with them as interesting as texting twits on their mobile phone
- Giving us the opportunity to say bad things about them whilst they are in the air and unable to reply.
- Letting us know they are important enough to allow their carbon footprint to enlarge to the size of a pregnant elephant.
There are lots and lots of bloggers raving about existing within the Twitisphere. I’m not one of them, as you have no doubt guessed. I am sure those who rave about it do love it and there is no harm in that. People have their favourite communication tools and that’s great, how you use that tool and how much use you get from it is up to you.
I think there is a cultural divide too, as a Brit, I naturally take the piss and when people leave inane messages it’s hard to keep your fingers away from the keyboard. I think Americans take it a lot more seriously and respectfully.
But hey, I don’t want to get into a social/cultural debate here. At the end of the day you have to use what works for you. But sometimes you have to look beyond the hype and honestly ask yourself.
Is there any benefit for me here?
BTW, if you want to follow my Twitters and I don’t really recommend it as I will probably just be taking the piss click here.