Why You Need A Social Media Consultant

I used to write poetry, good stuff. Mostly to impress the ladies, I was interested in women who like guys who could write poetry. Poetry is easy when you realise it’s just words and you don’t need to do anything else except write them.

But it’s difficult to make a living out of poetry, it’s a shame really because I found it so easy.

I now find getting on the front page of digg easy, sure it doesn’t always happen but I think I have a good hit rate. So good in fact that digg has had to ban this blog. Seems I’m giving away a little too much info for them to handle.

Stumbleupon is different as it actually uses the wisdom of crowds to show you interesting and compelling content, which is why I prefer it to digg. digg is more the wisdom of the….. well it’s more of a mob than a crowd. But this is not my point.

You can read all there is about a social bookmarking site like digg and still not get it. You have to get down and dirty and start using the sites as a regular user, it takes time, I would say a month or two before you have a grasp on things.

Which is why you need a social media consultant, to show you around. To tell you what works and what doesn’t. There are only a few good ones around. Don’t get fooled by those just getting into it or are experts in other fields and merely dabble in social media marketing. This is all I do.

I had one client and he hadn’t told me his site had been banned in digg, I went to submit his article but the domain was banned. Apparently he had hired an seo firm to do a little social media marketing and they had simply spammed digg with his url and gotten him banned.

Of course there is a way around a ban, but you will have to hire me to find out.

Whatever your social marketing needs are, I will be able to fulfil them.

Contact my now at lyndon at cornwallseo.com and find out how I can help you build your links.

Comments

Yup I have to agree. I started poking around Digg recently and its just kinda ‘ugh’. I realise if I ever hope to have any kind of success there I’d need to spend an awful lot of time there and I just don’t think I have it right now. If I earned money I might hire you Lyndon but I don’t so I’ll just have to read your blog instead :)

Caroline, anyone can crack digg as long as they invest time and hard work. Also a lot of testing. I think anyone of moderate intelligence can do it, but the reason few do is it’s a lot of hours not spent watching East Enders ;)

Also, it’s important to question why you want to know your way around digg. I use digg as the example because it’s the big bad boy of the moment.

Question:
    Why do you want be able to make stories go front page?
    Are you set up to take advantage of what a front page digg can bring?
    Do you have a social marketing strategy that fits into your overall strategy?
    How is social media going to help you make money.
    Is there a wrong way to use social media?
    Is online networking really online notworking?

I completely agree with the statement about reading everything under the sun (about any tool) but not really getting it until you actually roll up the sleeves and start participating.

Nice list of questions at the end as well – questions like those can be invaluable for people looking at social media (insert specific site name here) and evaluating the opportunity costs, expectations and potential.

Just curious–you say you do a lot of testing.

Do you document your testing? Have a preferred format for documenting what works and what doesn’t? (Not asking what it is, I know that’d be proprietary–just wondering if you have found something that works for you.)

I’m a right-brained poet type, m’self, so it’s really hard for me to tap that left brain and actually document my experiments–but in my experience, that’s what makes you able to extract a repeatable process out of testing.

Anyway… just rambling at this point.

I haven’t documented all my testing, but I have my client work and some of my own stuff. Keeping records is useful, but as most of the data is readily available I don’t see a need to collect it all until needed.

I definitely think social media marketing is an art rather than a science. You have to get a feel for it.

Lyndon -

Thoughtful and evocative. Thanks for another great post and reasoning.

“My point is, these social media destinations are very hard to crack in the sense of understanding the nuances and the culture. It is very hard sometimes to understand why one story on digg got buried and one did not. The more time you spend at such places the better you understand. Problem is, do you have that time available to you?”

Totally True.

Oh absolutely–and I tend to rely on gut instinct most of the time, in the relatively short time I’ve been doing it. I also think that certain personality types are naturally predisposed to being good at it–go to any topical forum on the web, and I would be willing to bet that the most influential top contributors are either INFPs, enneagram Fours, or both. The Shakespeares of the internet. ;)

But I work at an agency, and we’re big on process. Plus process, at least a bare-bones version of it, it an essential in client relations. Process caj close the deal–results keep the client. :)

I think anyone of moderate intelligence can do it, but the reason few do is it?s a lot of hours not spent watching East Enders

It’s not East Enders, it’s all the other things bloggers and site owners need to do – generate content, design, coding, seo… Adding Digg on top – a huge investment in time for undetermined gain – is a lot. Which I guess is good for social media consultants like you.

That’s interesting as I am a 4 with a 5 wing in the Enneagram system. It’s an interesting point about personalities. It definately helps to have certain traits.

I don’t like spending large amounts of time on Digg, but I try to get there every day once or twice and I hope to eventually have a stronger profile. So far it has been going pretty well. I know I won’t get to be a top user this way, but at least my submissions now have a shot to go somewhere. I need to spend more time finding quality submissions.

You definitely have developed a strong reputation among social media users ( especially StumbleUpon in my opinion). I find that social media becomes more enjoyable as I get to know the nuances better. I guess that’s because some success comes with it.

Lyndon, what is the main advantage of promotion for social media from the prespective of your clients?

I haven’t ever got into blogging, although I did write some articles earlier this year. One got heavily stumbled and sent as much traffic in one day as I usually get from G in 1/2 weeks, about 2,000 hits. Other than all the links that provided, I didn’t get much else from it.

Do you use social media as more of a branding tool than to increase incoming links?

Sounds a helluva lot like what I tell my clients (and prospective clients).

I too, have the time and the client base to learn my way through Social Media, but when I’ve miss-stepped, I tend to turn to somebody like you, dude. Nice work

It’s not surprising the amount of users you ‘stumble’ across that only have 1 or 2 posts to their names and guess what, they’re self promoting ones! Seems like a lot of people join and then fall away before getting started.

Quick plug for Lyndon – We used him back when he was cheap :) Great results. 200ish links (plus a few thousand stumbleupon profile links) and a couple hundred thousand unique visitors in a month.

Only word of warning I’d throw out is how easy it is to algorithmically detect and correct manipulation of links & search results via social marketing. That wouldn’t matter for those tying that new flow of traffic into some way of building a list, or those who have a ton of quality content on the site and are just trying to get exposure.

However, for those who want to use it as a one-off technique to blow up traffic or top search results, just know there are no (okay, very few…) shortcuts.

If I’m wrong on that Lyndon, correct me. I’ll make sure we have an option priced in for our clients to use your services – well worth it.

Matt, it’s interesting what you say. A huge burst a of traffic and a bunch of temporary links from social media sites will do little for long term keyword action. Although, a good marketer will always use that traffic to their advantage.

Like I have said in the past, there is no such thing as bad traffic, only bad content, or bad marketers.

But the real power of social media driven linkbait comes from those long term naturally given, organic links with some juicy anchor text thrown in. No, you wont get anchor text like “cheap mortgages”, but you will get a keyword in the anchor text, like “How Cheap Mortgages drove one guy into the arms of the Hells Angels.”

hey Lyndon,
    I am the founder of a website called socialsoundoff.com, check it out and tell me what you can do to help me generate more traffic